8 Jun 2020
THE “IRON CHEF” – PART 1
The particular situation that forced all of us far from the races didn't stop us, teaming up with our Vision sponsored triathletes for a new, funny and tasty project: The “Iron Chef” cookbook.
Our triathletes submitted their favourite homegrown recipe that fuels them or is a favourite healthy snack. All made from scratch in their own kitchen, of course.
Of course, this has been a fairly easy project to undertake since it entails one of an athlete’s favourite activities- eating!
Are you ready? Let dive with us in a unique cooking experience!
PEDRO GOMES’S BANANA BREAD
“My wife is a professional Chef and she’s always developing new and tasteful recipes to power up my rides. Her latest is this amazing whole wheat quinoa banana bread. A very moist banana bread (bananas and quinoa responsible for that), with just enough sweetness. Using whole wheat flour doesn’t only add fibre, but it also adds richness of flavour. The chocolate chips, although not a lot of them are enough so you can enjoy some in each slice and that just takes the banana bread to the next level!”
(Makes 1 loaf)
• 3 ripe bananas + 1 for decoration
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup milk (dairy or no-dairy)
• 1 1⁄2 cup (7 1⁄2 oz) whole wheat flour
• 1⁄2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (other nuts will also work)
• 1/4 cup dark chocolate chip (because, why not?!)
Pre-heat the oven to 350F / 180C.
Spray a 8 1⁄2 x 4 1⁄2 loaf pan tin and line it with parchment paper.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a small bowl. Reserve.
In a big bowl mash the bananas (you can use a fork or a potato masher). Add the eggs, maple syrup, olive oil and milk and whisk well. Then fold in the flour mixture. Once all flour in incorporated add the quinoa, walnuts and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 to 75 min. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before unmolding. Let it cool completely before serving.
CHELSEA SODARO’S DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
“These are a great chocolate treat to enjoy at the end of a big training day. They are made with whole grains (from the buckwheat) and sweetened with maple syrup. Recipe adapted from “Run Fast, Eat Slow” by Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky.”
• 3/4 cup (100g) buckwheat flour
• 1/2 cup (65g) almond flour
• 1/2 cup (45g) chocolate chips
• 1/4 cup (32g) cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon (6g) baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon (2g) baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon (2g) sea salt
• 1/2 cup (170g) maple syrup
• 1/3 cup (115g) coconut oil, melted
• 1 teaspoon (6g) vanilla
- Puree buckwheat groats in high-speed blender or food processor to make buckwheat flour.
- Puree raw almonds in high-speed blender or food processor to make almond flour.
1. Preheat oven to 350F (176C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Wisk together buckwheat flour, almond flour, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking
powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla.
4. Place spoonfuls of batter on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly golden. Allow cookies to cool. Enjoy!
GIULIO MOLINARI’S PIZZA VALTELLINA
“Hello guys! Here you are my recipe for 8 Valtellina pizzas, inspired by Valtellina, a region in Northern Italy with its specific delicacies like Bresaola, an air-dried, salted beef that has been aged two or three months until it becomes hard and turns a dark red, almost purple colour. The recipe is specifically for 8 pizzas because the pizza, as we say in Italy, must be eaten in company!”
• 1,140 kg of flour (soy and wheat mix)
• 0.6 L of water
• 2g of yeast
• 35g extra virgin olive oil
• 30g of salt
Leave to rise for 72h in the refrigerator (temperature around 6 degrees).
Pizza Valtellina = tomato, mozzarella, Livigno’s bresaola, seasoned Latteria cheese in flakes (similar to Parmesan but even better) and rucola.
Bake at 180 degrees until the mozzarella has melted and the edge of the pizza becomes golden.
After cooking garnish with bresaola, arugula and flakes of seasoned Latteria cheese
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!